Sunday, December 7, 2008

Advent

"Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel." (Isaiah 7:14)


Often during this time of year we start getting caught up in lists of things to do; lists of people to buy for, list of presents people want, lists of chores to be done. All the increased stress of traffic jams, crowds, and the frantic feeling that we can not get it all done or forget something/someone important. Even the demands of my my own expectations overwhelm me at times. Times when I need to be more focused on God and the sacred events of Christmas. I guess that's why I like Advent. Advent literally means "the coming or arrival". Liturgically speaking it is the 4 Sundays before Christmas during which we prepare our hearts, minds and spirits for the birth of Christ. I believe we all need the time of Advent. It slows us down and helps open our ears to God's quiet voice. During this time of year the pace of life speeds up. We rush around trying to buy the perfect gift, throw the best party or prepare the perfect home for holiday guests. I am as guilty as anyone! As we race through this busy season please take time to prepare your heart for the birth of our Lord. Take the time to thank God for sending us the most perfect gift of all, Jesus.

No comments: